SOUTHEAST NC – It may seem impossible to keep up with local issues while they are still being worked on.
Getting involved early in the policy development process can help ensure that community input is heard before it is too late to intervene.
You may not even need to attend (in person or virtually) to ensure your views are considered. Often, sending an email to government officials to be considered a public comment regarding a particular item can make your voice heard.
Every Monday, Port City Daily shares upcoming government meetings in the tri-county area. If there is an element of public interest, we will also include it under the meeting indicated.
Monday February 28
Wilmington City Council meets for a review of Tuesday’s agenda at the Wilmington Convention Center, 10 Convention Center Dr., at 8:30 a.m. The meetings are streamed on YouTube.
Pender County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the Pender County Public Assembly Hall, 805 S. Walker St. in Burlaw. The agenda includes the adoption of the ten-year master plan.
Tuesday, March 1
Wilmington municipal Council meets at 6:30 p.m. at the convention center, 10 Convention Center Dr. Meetings are streamed on YouTube. The agenda includes:
- An update from the Wilmington Housing Authority
- The Council will reconsider four economic development incentive programs for unknown companies, totaling $695,000, that it had previously deferred to extend the public comment period. County commissioners have already approved spending $1.9 million on the same rewards, and the state is reportedly in the process of participating in the deals and revealing the companies when the time comes. (Read more.)
- An agreement with NCDOT to fund the first design phase of the Downtown Rail Trail, from 3rd Street to the Love Grove Bridge
The New Hanover County School Board meets at 5 p.m. in its building at 1805 S. 13th St. Attendance is limited to 170 people, and it’s also possible to watch from home on NHCSTV. There will be a one-hour in camera session mid-session. The agenda includes:
Wilmington Housing Authority Board of Commissioners will meet at 4:00 p.m. at Rankin Place Terrace, 415 N 12th St. Immediately thereafter, the Board of Directors of Housing and Economic Opportunities, Inc. will meet, followed by the Board of Directors of Glover Plaza, Inc.
The Belville Board of Commissioners meets at 6:30 p.m. in the City Hall Room, 63 River Rd. Agenda includes:
- An update to the multi-purpose path
- Brunswick Riverwalk Update
- Updated street and drainage repairs
- Update on US bailout funds
Brunswick County School Board meets at 6:30 p.m. at the Center for Applied Science and Technology, 1109 Old Ocean Hwy, Bolivia. View the agenda here.
The Pender County Planning Board will meet at 7 p.m. in the Pender County Public Assembly Hall, 805 S. Walker St. in Burlaw. The agenda includes:
- The 10-year parks and recreation master plan
- Application to rezone 11.5 acres along US Highway 17 from residential performance to general business.
Surf City City Council will meet at 4:30 p.m. at the Civic Complex, 214 W. Florence Way. Meetings can be streamed live on YouTube. The agenda includes:
- A public hearing on an annexation
- Rezoning of the western part of Tiffany’s Motel
- North Carolina League of Municipalities Safety Grant Approval
The Pender County School Board will meet at 6 p.m. in the boardroom, Dr. Katherine Herring Resource Center, 798 US Hwy. 117 South in Burlaw. The meeting can be streamed live on YouTube.
Wednesday March 2
New Hanover County and City of Wilmington Workforce Housing Advisory Committee meets at 3 p.m. in Conference Room 500 at 230 Government Center Dr.
New Hanover County Airport Authority meets at 5:00 p.m. in the ILM Executive Boardroom on the second floor of the terminal building.
The Town North Topsail Beach Board of Aldermen will meet at 11 am at the Town Hall, 2008 Loggerhead Court. The meeting can be streamed live on YouTube.
Thursday March 3
Burlaw City Tourism Development Authority meets at 8:30 a.m. at the Historic Train Depot, 115 S. Dickerson St.
Friday March 4
City of Oak Island Par 3 Advisory Committee meets 1-2 p.m. at the Oak Island Par 3 Golf Course at 4188 Vanessa Dr.
Send tips and feedback to [email protected]